Frequently Asked Questions

Prospective Students

Q: I would like to meet with someone to discuss the Nelson Institute's graduate degree programs. Would this be possible?

A: Jim Miller, the Nelson Institute's graduate advisor, meets with prospective graduate students by appointment. Please contact Jim at to schedule a meeting. If you are interested in the Environmental Conservation program, please contact Nathan Schulfer at

Q: I am applying to one of your graduate programs. Where do I have my transcripts sent?

A: Two official sets of transcripts for all previous undergraduate and graduate study should be sent to the address below. International academic records must be in the original language accompanied by an official English translation. Documents must be issued by the school with the official seal/stamp and an official signature. Electronic transcripts should be sent to

Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies
Attn: Graduate Program Admissions
550 N Park St, Rm 70 Science Hall
Madison WI 53706-1491

Q: I am applying to one of your graduate programs. Where do I have my GRE scores and TOEFL scores (if applicable) sent?

A: Your test scores should be sent to UW-Madison (institution code R1846). No department code is needed.

Current Nelson Students

Q: How do I set up an appointment to speak with an advisor?

A: To schedule an appointment with Jim Miller, the graduate programs staff advisor, please contact him at

Q: How do I enroll for Environmental Studies 990 research credits?

A: Contact with your request. Include your name, your advisor's name and your student ID number.

Q: I'm thinking of taking a course not listed on my program's course list. How can I find out if the course fits a given category within my program's curriculum?

A: Contact Jim Miller at Include the course syllabus if available.